communities of pracrice

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 25 2000 - 10:46:46 PST

Hi Sara-- I think our work on the 5thdimension at the boys aned
girls club might prove interesting in figuring out how to separate,
even analytically, communities of practice from the spaces they
inhabit. What I see are shifting aliances and forcefields within
the community center, but INCREDIBLE durability of the basic
structures including local cultural practices of exclusion. But
the context of the Club has changed radically over the years, and
I find that one can experience incredible opportunities to study
how organizations/people change over time while remaining the same.
mike