Re: The internet and disinformation

From: Martin Ryder (mryder@carbon.cudenver.edu)
Date: Mon Jan 24 2000 - 02:17:21 PST

Ken,

Thanks for the clarification, though I don't think it significtly
alters my interpretation of your message. As I see it, there is nothing
unique about the Internet that lends itself to disinformation that
traditional media genres don't also employ very effectively.

Consider the case of Alian Gonzalez. We are told repeatedly that
Alian is in the custody of his "relatives". Not one news account in
ten ever uses the word "distant" to describe these relatives.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, the Internet places control of the
truth more completely in the hands of the reader. What the Internet
provides us is the means to access additional information to check the
veracity of any story. The power of disinformation is diluted by abundance
of data available to a critical reader.

Martin