Re: apartheid racial categorization

From: Kedmon Hungwe (khungwe@africaonline.co.zw)
Date: Tue Jan 18 2000 - 12:30:01 PST

Leigh:

Interesting chapter on apartheid and classification. I thought I should comment since I am from that part of the world. I couldn’t agree with you more that "classification systems are often sites of political and social struggles, but that these sites are difficult to approach."

Some years ago, I was surprised to find that in the late 19th and 20th century 'white' settlers of Afrikaner and English descent considered themselves to be two distinct racial groups. The distinction/classification reflected ongoing political and social struggles between the two groups. Britain and the English settlers went to war against the Afrikaners in the Anglo Boer war (1899-1902) which Britain won. The ‘racial’ conflict spilled into Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe). About 30% of whites in Rhodesia were Afrikaners, and the rest were mostly of English descent. Afrikaners in Rhodesia struggled for a separate identity, and in particular for the recognition of Afrikaans as an official language. By 1930, political compromises on this and other issues had been resolved. With the rise of African nationalism, Afrikaners and English settlers in Rhodesia found a new solidarity based on the need to defend common political interests. When I was growing up in Rhodesia, the "Afrikaner" and "English" identities had given way to a common "European" identity. So the 'European' identity developed over time. This example also illustrates the historical appearance and disappearance of a racial distinction with changing political and power dynamics.