Re(2): social promotion

Phillip White (Phillip_White who-is-at ceo.cudenver.edu)
Fri, 24 Sep 1999 13:26:00 -0600

xmca who-is-at weber.ucsd.edu writes:
>Louise,
>
>In this neck of the woods I have met a number of kids who have been held
>back a year with the result that 19 years olds graduating from HS is not
>all that uncommon. I was unaware that the policy had been abandoned on a
>wide scale.
>
>Paul H. Dillon

Sheppard's work has been around for a long time - fifteen to twenty
years at least - and what i find most interesting - intrigueing - is
that when i'm teaching a class to interning teachers, or even teachers who
are back in the university to get an MA, that even after they've read and
talked about the research and the multiple implications, they still
consider retention as an acceptable solution for a child facing
difficulties in school. for me this relates to what Bill P. and Robert
and Bill B. and Genevieve have been talking about, regarding how a school
is situated in a community and it's resources and problematic
relationships - often teachers have so few immediate resources at hand
through the school system that retention or special education placement
seem like viable alternatives because it is thought that something is
'being done'.

so actually, Paul, your awareness is appropriate - the actual policy
has not been abandoned. and with the increasing use of standards and
tests being used as blockers for student movement though the system,
retention has actually increased.

it fascinates me because it demonstrates the strength of 'local
knowledge' coupled with limited resources, and how the two can
unintentionally block reform and keep children in failing institutions.

phillip