Double double stimulation subtle

Bill Barowy (wbarowy who-is-at mail.lesley.edu)
Mon, 26 Jul 1999 00:02:11 -0400

At 1:33 PM -0700 7/23/99, Mike Cole wrote:
>reasonable to argue that there were none. Both positions
[Cobb vs. Brown/Campione ] fall within
>a set of activity-based, small group, pedagogy and those have repeatedly
>been shown to work so long as they are well supported. So what difference
>does it make if you use rogoff or cobb or vygotsky or Feurerstein as
>your starting point?

I don't think Cobb would have used 'double stimulation' in the past. The
emphasis on individual construction seems closer to LSV's 'everyday' than
'scientific'. So using Yrj=F6's framework, the rules, division of labor, an=
artifacts may be quite different between Cobb and Vygotsky, although you
could find small groups here and there. But where 'double stimulation'
fits in the everyday-scientific dimension has me a bit puzzled. A bit of
both?

Bill Barowy, Associate Professor
Technology in Education
Lesley College, 31 Everett Street, Cambridge, MA 02138-2790
Phone: 617-349-8168 / Fax: 617-349-8169
http://www.lesley.edu/faculty/wbarowy/Barowy.html
"One of life's quiet excitements is to stand somewhat apart from yourself
and watch yourself softly become the author of something beautiful."
[Norman Maclean in "A river runs through it."]