Re: double stimulation?

Sylvia Martinez (sylvia.martinez who-is-at mindspring.com)
Sun, 25 Jul 1999 20:39:41 -0700

Judy,
I have been reading this thread with interest, but don't feel qualified t=
o comment
on any of the more complex issues you are tackling. However, your comment=
below,
that US intellectuals seem a little more "cavalier" made me think of a sp=
orts
commentator at the Olympics opening ceremonies a few years ago. (Not the =
Atlanta
games) It may have been Bob Costas. He noted that most of the teams march=
ed neatly
and rigidly, with a solemn attitude while the US team came in all straggl=
y, goofily
waving to the crowd and generally acting like - well, like US tourists te=
nd to act
in foreign countries. As you pointed out, our American belief in individu=
ality
probably accentuates this.

He commented that it was because of the US attitude that we are tops in t=
he world,
so we don't have to act appropriately, we can relax, in essence. In busin=
ess, this
is like the CEO who dresses in jeans while the jr. executives wear suits.=
People
who are in a position of power can afford to slack off and set their own =
style -
people who feel that they are striving for the top need to follow the rul=
es and
conform to what they perceive to be the way to get to the top. Perhaps th=
is
semi-policitcal belief carries itself into the examples you mention, too.

Not that this is a bad thing on either end - the cross pollination that y=
ou mention
is a good example of things that may result from a more relaxed attitude =
towards
methods and theories. I often find myself with a healthy skepticism of th=
e endless
discussion of theories that occur more for the careers of academics than =
to help
real people. That's also a piece of the American myth-mosaic, a mistrust =
of
intellectuals and "ivory tower" academics.

Sylvia Martinez

Judy Diamondstone wrote:

> However, I found Nate's comment interesting, that "<<with Russian stude=
nts
> the social context was different (more rigid) and those concepts did no=
> occur as everyday concepts">> and I was reaching, in my response to Nat=
e,
> for a way to describe what I perceive to be a characteristic of (many) =
U.S.
> intellectuals as opposed to those in other English-speaking countries -=
- a
> kind of bricolage, a cavalier way with methods & theories (yeah, okay, =
I am
> [...]
al
> groups analogous to "standing on the shoulders of giants"? i.e., immers=
ing
> oneself in the sensemaking orientation of others through their texts...
>
> idly speculating,
> Judy
>
> "what is done by what is called myself is, I feel, done by something gr=
eater
> than myself in me" -- James Clerk Maxwell
>
> At 08:06 PM 7/25/99 -0200, you wrote:
> >Mrs. Diamondstone,
> >
> >Forgive-me if I intromiss myself in your conversation with...
> >(Nate?)
> >But, I'm very interested in this issue.
> >
> >Judy Diamondstone wrote:>
> >> If Nate's memory serves & U.S. kids' understandings were more "every=
day"
> in their formation while the Russians' concepts more
> >"scientific" & "rigid" that suggests that flexibility is a function of
> >pre-scientific (in V's terms) concepts
> >
> >First,I understand that concepts formation, as in americans as in
> >russians persons, is a process in which concrete (everyday) and abstra=
ct
> >(scientific or social) concepts interact, dialetically.
> >
> >Second, that in Vygotsky's time there was not something like a
> >prototipic and a theoric conception of concepts. So, although he had
> >approached concepts understanding in a classical conception way, there
> >are many interesting passages in his texts that point to a more flexib=
le
> >way of understanding them (paticularly when he refers to the differenc=
> >between meaning and sense of words, to the coletive construction of
> >meaning within a specific context)
> >
> >i.e., understandings that are more embedded in one's "own" sense-makin=
> >are more available for use in more different settings and ways. Does
> >that jibe with others' understanding of "flexibility" ? (I think it
> >challenges the cognitive psychologists' view, no? - i.e., where
> >"flexibility" is described in terms of functioning within a given
> >conceptual system/ theory)
> >
> >Third, the 'double stimulation', as I know, had been used to observ
> >hipotetic abstract concepts like "bik", "lag" - names
> >arbitrarially attached to solid geometric group of figures. And it
> >indeed was very helpfull to demostrate how since a "sincretic thinnkin=
g"
> >children goes to "thinking in complex" and, finally, reach "conceptual
> >or categorial thinking", and to point the main role of words in thinki=
ng
> >process, and that a word meaning develops along ontog=EAnesis.
> >
> >To Vygotsky, I understand, social and everyday concepts were
> >very interconnected one another: something like an up movement since t=
he
> >last ones and a down movement from the first.
> >
> >But, in fact, everyday concepts have a definitivelly concrete and
> >touchible dimension on contrary to social ones.

Venger's