Re: look backward, angel

Peter Smagorinsky (smago who-is-at peachnet.campus.mci.net)
Wed, 30 Dec 1998 08:55:56 -0500

2 small points in response to Jay's message (which builds on many others):

1. I'm surprised to see "Africa" represented as a unified continent and as
having continent-wide cultural traits, given that it includes Egypt, South
Africa, and much in between. As I type I'm listening to Senegalese musician
Baaba Maal (Firin' in Fouta--great stuff), which like other Senegal music
(e.g., Toure Kunde, Thione Seck) is French-influenced and quite different
from zulu music from South Africa (e.g., the Johnny Clegg bands Zuluka and
Savuka)--someone more familiar with the great diversity in African music
and culture could, I'm sure, provide many more examples. I'm hardly an
expert on this, but always worry about any efforts to essentialize large
and diverse peoples, including "Modern Western" society.

2. Another contribution to the time discussion: I've recently been working
on a case study of a Native American teacher's struggle to work within a
highly structured elementary school, and found the following to be very
useful:

People comment on "Indian time" or "the land of manana," which means there
is a tomorrow because there is a different time consciousness. . . . In the
relief and pleasure of really being taken seriously as a human being, it is
also easy to forget that at the very moment one is being helped to feel at
ease, the healer may simultaneously be putting off someone else for whom
she will then be "late." That kind of time consciousness includes time to
be compassionate and human. Taking time and tuning in. . . .
There are benefits to the highly structured time frame: predictability
(which makes people feel safe, too); an order and harmony of its own; it
can fit and function well in an eight-to-five world. But it does not
create "knowing" and comfort. The more fluid time consciousness has its
own benefits: making real human contact, creating ease, creating comfort
through knowing an "other," and faith. This kind of time does not fit as
readily into an eight-to-five structured world. (pp. 227-8)
Krueger, V. (1989). Reflections: Victoria Krueger. In B. Perrone, H. H.
Stockel, & V. Krueger, Medicine women, curanderas, and women doctors (pp.
225-229). Norman, OK: University of Oklahoma Press.

The idea of a "fluid time consciousness" is not culturally specific to
Native Americans, of course, and NA's are a large and diverse group that
include different degrees of assimilation to other value systems. But I've
found the construct useful in understanding how schools are typically set
up according to production-line systems that do not accommodate other ways
of viewing time, and therefore can discourage process- and
relationship-oriented teachers from entering or staying in the profession.

Peter