Re: Check out _Heaven's Mirror_ (Re: Salvation)

Martin ELLISON (martin who-is-at mpce.mq.edu.au)
Mon, 14 Dec 1998 17:36:24 +1100

Edouard wrote:
> I could quibble over the other points, but the last point will
> certainly be of news to most everyone I think.

Yes, I know that, in picking up errors of detail, I always have to ask
myself whether I am just trying to score points. (I'm not really up to
speed on this post-modern thing -- is factual correctness passe'?)

Edouard's basic point -- that decaying institutions often produce useful
consequences -- was sound, but better served by examples such as (for
the decline of Rome) Augustine's or Boethius' works, or perhaps (given
the general Marxist tenor of this list) the transition to more
productive social and economic forms of organisation than had been
possible under the Roman latifundia system.

I had written:
>>And as far as I know, the only evidence for the "Lost Civilisation" is
>>Plato's Timaeus (24e-25d).

Edouard continued:
> Graham Hancock has collected a surprising amount of data that points
> to such an earlier civilization....

I am always ready to revise my views in the light of new evidence.

Martin