Re: heteropraxia

Luiz Ernesto Merkle (lmerkle who-is-at julian.uwo.ca)
Mon, 14 Dec 1998 00:40:43 -0600

Jay,
Thanks Jay! Thats's what I thought, although I have interpreted
heteropraxia in a slightly different scope.

Jay Lemke wrote:
> Heteroglossia and heteropraxia are more community-level
> phenomena, the repertory of ways-of-saying/doing that helps define the
> structure of the community, and, I believe, much of its dynamics as well.
> Another case of the 'organized heterogeneity' of culture.

What I like about the term heteropraxia is that it has a scope large
enough to encompass not only the community perspective, as you
stressed, but also the material facets of cultural practices and
doings. In these material facets I include the technological ones,
which are my interest within the large scope of culture. In particular
the field of Human Computer Interaction. But I guess that that is what
you mean by 'organized heterogeneity'. :)

> Heteropraxia describes the vast historical range between totalitarian
> fantasies of monopraxia, hated even by God, and the ultimate Babel of
> idiopraxia, in which each isolated individual acts uniquely and with no
> relation to others ... without culture, without community, without humanity.

I haven't heard a word for technological utterance, but linking this
xmca thread with the one of electronic mediated education, I would say
that the critique that Bakhtin has done against hegemonies, as you
said, are replicated at technological scaffolds that constrains
diversity. When society is made durable through technology, as Latour
wrote in one of his articles, it is also made more brittle and more
oppressive, less resilient and less democratic. The difficult is to
establish a point in which it can both be developed and be sustained,
in which alterity is recognized as necessary for equity, in which the
other is essential for the self.

luiz