Re: spaces Re: hands up

Charles Nelson (c.nelson who-is-at mail.utexas.edu)
Wed, 18 Nov 1998 08:19:36 -0600

Vera P. John-Steiner wrote:

>I would be very interested to get from you some references about
>complexity approaches. We have used some of the work of the SF Institute
>people, but I am sure there is more out there,
>Vera

Having in the past year-and-a-half just begun learning about complexity
theory,I'm quite new in the area and most of my readings concern members of
the SF Institute. Below are some other readings that I have found
interesting.

Charles Nelson
c.nelson who-is-at mail.utexas.edu

Clark, A. (1997). _Being There: Putting Brain, Body, and World
Together Again_. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.
Fleck, L. (1979). _Genesis and Development of a Scientific Fact_. Trans. Fred
Bradley, Thaddeus J. Trenn. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
Hutchins, E. (1995). _Cognition in the Wild_. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.
Larsen-Freeman, D. (1997). "Chaos/Complexity Science and Second Language
Acquisition." _Applied Linguistics_ 18 (2): 141-165.
Syverson, M. (1992). _The Wealth of Reality: An Ecology of Composition_.
Diss. UCSD.
Taylor, P. (1992). "Social epistemic rhetoric and chaotic discourse." In
G. E.
Hawisher & P. LeBlanc (eds.), _Re-imagining computers and composition:
Teaching and research in the virtual age_, pp. 131-148. Portsmouth,
NH:
Heinemann.
Varela, T. J., Thompson, E., and Rosch, E. (1991). _The Embodied Mind:
Cognitive Science and Human Experience_. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.
Winograd, T., and Flores, F. (1986). _Understanding Computers and
Cognition: A New Foundation for Design_. Reading, MA: Addison-Wesley.