sexualities/intimacy (formerly "space & gender")

diane celia hodges (dchodges who-is-at interchg.ubc.ca)
Wed, 4 Mar 1998 11:16:25 -0800

At 9:12 PM 3/3/98, Judy Diamondstone wrote:
>Hi, Diane and Ricardo. I'm appreciating the exchange between you two.
>It's refreshing to have the opportunity in THIS our XMCA forum for
>talk about cultural historical development to THINK TOGETHER about our
>sexualities and to question the constraints we do or do not acknowledge.

I'm glad you say this - i was thinking the same thing, that HERE
in XMCA it is actually possible to discuss these issues in ways which
give us pause for thought, and not pause for "reactionary" replies. what a
treat.

>It would be great to develop a developmental narrative in which
>the arena of sexual "transgressions" [however you imagine/enact
>"transgression"] - were less charged. Unlikely, I think. What should
>matter much more than sex of one sort or another is consistency of
>relationship. What do you think?

In Western societies, at least, and as well in most Eastern societies, I'd
say that what matters most are the degrees of harm which are enabled in
relationships - a violent relationship may be consistent, but certainly not
healthy.
child-adult sexual relations may be consistently maintained, but again, not
healthy.

in a more mature world, consistency could be the concern - but at this
point in our cultural-historical development, I think relational violence
(spousal/child abuse)
is the significant issue - not "who" you are with, but the quality of the
intimacy.

In a sexually-repressed/sexually violent culture, of course, intimacy
takes on incomprehensible complexities.

the novel is called "A Coming of (R)age" -
and is, er, ah, "between" publishers at the moment. (cough) ahem.
however, I've been attaching it as a document over email
for about 6 months now, so anyone who'd like a copy
can just email me and I'll send it off.

diane

"Every tool is a weapon if you hold it right." Ani Difranco
diane celia hodges
faculty of education, centre for the study of curriculum and
instruction,
university of british columbia
vancouver, bc canada

snailmail: 3519 Hull Street