Re: space & gender

diane celia hodges (dchodges who-is-at interchg.ubc.ca)
Wed, 4 Mar 1998 11:16:29 -0800

At 10:46 PM 3/3/98, Ricardo Ottoni Vaz Japiassu wrote:
>Thanks for your comments.
>
>I think you pointed important features of the question.
>
>I'd like to know and read more about cultural-historical aprroach of
>sexuality. Any sugestion?

Foucault's "History of Sexuality" is a good place to start, I think;

also, Judith Butler's (1990) "Gender Trouble: Feminism and the Subversion
of Identity"
(NY: Routledge)

Teresa de Lauretis (1987) "Technologies of Gender:Essays on Theory, Film,
and Fiction"
(Indiana University Press)

Himani Bannerji "Thinking Through" Essays on Feminism, Marxism, and
Anti-Racism" (Toronto: Womens' Press)

Bannerji's is a brilliant collection of "identity" pieces which don't
specifically address
sexuality, but "difference" and the conflicts of being both inside and
outside the ideologies (cultural-historical practices) which organize kinds
of "oppressions" or marginalization within sites of "authority"... very
provocative thoughts.

And, for folks who are thinking about bio-culturalism,

Edith Cobb (1977) "The Ecology of Imagination in Childhood" (NY: Columbia
University Press) provides what I think is the first "ecological" analysis
of
bioculturalism.

There are certain cultural assumptions which weaken Cobb's argument,
however, the underlying ideas in her book are extraordinary.

Ricardo, i have *so* enjoyed this discussion; thank you for sharing
your thoughts and questions,... there are indeed few spaces where these kinds of
conversations can take place.

diane

"Every tool is a weapon if you hold it right." Ani Difranco
diane celia hodges
faculty of education, centre for the study of curriculum and
instruction,
university of british columbia
vancouver, bc canada

snailmail: 3519 Hull Street