Re: pre/pro

Ken Goodman (KGoodman who-is-at u.arizona.edu)
Thu, 08 Jan 1998 23:03:51 -0700

We've had res[ponse to Mike's question that provided an answer from the view of
Dewey's pragmatism: it's better because it sustains students in the future.

As a realist I see best teaching practice as consistant with the underlying
processes of effective learning. They alsoare more consistant with supporting
the full range of personal and social objectives- not in acquisition of bits and
pieces of skill and knowledge but in terms of becoming knowledgable citizens of
a democracy capable of asking good questions and collaborating on solutions.

I think your estimate of 10% is far too low. I'd say 20% are doing a good job of
using best practices and another 40% though tied to tradition moderate it
through their empathy for kids and their informed common sense. That's not what
it could be but it's perhaps double what it was 10 years ago. What will happen
with the on-slaught on teachers and teacher education is hard to say.

And I want to restate a key proposition. There is no way to overcome ineffective
teaching by mandating practice- best or worst.
Ken Goodman