Re: A short dry chronicle

Eugene Matusov (ematusov who-is-at UDel.Edu)
Wed, 15 Oct 1997 11:39:28 -0400

Hi Diane--

As a former but very recent grad participating on XMCA, I think you story
says that it is unwise (or at least "ineffective" -- I hate this word) to
separate community newcomers (i.e., grads) from community oldtimers "(i.e.,
folks who spent a lot of time on participating in academic practice,
whatever it means).

What do you think?

Eugene

At 06:24 PM 10/14/97 -0700, you wrote:

>Maybe this reflects my experience only, but speaking as one
>of those "grads", from that side of the fence, so to speak,
>
>I have yet, in 5 or so yrs of graduate experience, as an MA or
>PhD-2-be, found an email list of grads-only where there
>was ever any discussion of theory with the interest or expertise
>
>that takes place on xmca... other lists I am on, such as queerstudies.list,
>reflect the same interests & savour-faire with theory that
>is, in my experience, again, found wanting (wonting?) on grad-only
>lists...
>
>I wouldn't dare speculate on what that implies,
> but it's my $0.02
>(approx
>$0.005 USF) -
>
>cheers y'all
>diane
>
>"Every tool is a weapon if you hold it right"
> (Ani Difranco)
>
> diane celia hodges
> faculty of graduate studies
> centre for the study of curriculum and instruction
> university of british columbia,
> vancouver, british columbia, canada V6T 1Z4
>
>(604) 253-4807
> dchodges who-is-at interchange.ubc.ca

Eugene Matusov
Willard Hall Educational Bldg., Room 206G
Department of Educational Studies
University of Delaware
Newark, DE 19716-2920

Phone: (302) 831-1266