Re: ZPD, resistance and conflit

Charles Bazerman (bazerman who-is-at humanitas.ucsb.edu)
Fri, 10 Oct 1997 15:31:50 -0700 (PDT)

While my earlier comments seemed to link zoped with essentially any
learning situation--and thus any activity or interaction or even
perception of an ambient world as one processes information--and while my
comments also began to question the limitations of the spatial metaphor,
yet one spatial implication of zoped seems to me very important and I
would hardly want to do away with it, and that is the reaching outwards
into new experiences, domains, problems, challenges along with the
orientations and tools and affects that enable that expansion.

It is partly in this light that I see Eugene's insistence on the
communicative, dyadic, interactive aspect of zoped--in that the impulse to
relationship with others is one of the strongest forces for our reachiong
outward, and conditions all our other forms of activity (consider Judy and
Eugene's interest in transference issues in learning). While I am not
sure whether I would put the same insistence on communications marking the
boundary of zoped learning situations from others, I certainly thinki it
is worth considering the force of human relationships in learning.

Chuck