Re: east/west / whole language

Peter Smagorinsky (psmagorinsky who-is-at uoknor.edu)
Thu, 30 May 96 16:28:44 -0500

Judy, a couple of points: my comments were originally intended for Chuck and
not wider distribution, and so were less tactful than they would have been
had I posted them directly to xmca. Second: I haven't saved the messages
and so can't point specifically to those that led me to the statement.
Beyond that, my sense of the wl discussion was that whole language (which
was never defined) was characterized as something that "works" in contrast
to phonics (also never defined) that doesn't.

At 02:33 PM 5/30/96 -0400, you wrote:

>Peter,
>Can you say more about how the xmca discussion has presented
>WL as a one-size-fits-all approach? I wasn't aware of it and
>would appreciate any insights you have to offer past my
>own blindsides.
>
>- Judy
>
>>I thoroughly agree that the enactment of policies is uniquely situated,
>>which is why I've been bothered by the idea of whole language as a
>>one-size-fits-all approach to teaching as discussed on xmca.
>

>Judy Diamondstone
>Graduate School of Education
>Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey
>10 Seminary Place
>New Brunswick, NJ 08903
>
>diamonju who-is-at rci.rutgers.edu

Peter Smagorinsky
University of Oklahoma
Department of Instructional Leadership and Academic Curriculum
College of Education
820 Van Vleet Oval
Norman, OK 73019-0260
(w) 405-325-3533