Re: direct instruction/ Applebee's curriculum

smagor who-is-at aardvark.ucs.uoknor.edu
Thu, 25 Apr 96 06:53:33 -0500

At 07:49 PM 4/24/96 -0400, you wrote:
Judy, I don't think Applebee opposes direct instruction. His views on tacit
knowledge refer to discourse conventions rather than specific strategies for
accomplishing something. In the book (and elsewhere) he advocates
instructional scaffolding as a means of teaching particular ways of doing,
which can be direct.

As far as these debates being "behind us"--I suspect they'll always be with us.

Peter

>I suppose the issue is one of terminology, but because language is the
>means we have to think together, I'll push the point, especially since
>it's at the heart of a by-now longstanding debate that I had thought was
>behind us. I see nothing wrong with direct instruction. Isn't
>explication direct instruction? Isn't providing a definition direct
>instruction? Isn't telling it how it is direct instruction? I often ask
>for direct instruction and I am grateful when I get it. The issues that
>underlie the concerns of Applebee and Betty Zan, I think, are ones of
>when, of what, how much, and for whom direct instruction is appropriate
>in a given task context. These seem to me to be extremely interesting
>and important questions that we can't take up together as long as we
>keep direct instruction out of the kit of good pedagogical resources.
>
>- Judy
>

>Judy Diamondstone
>Graduate School of Education
>Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey
>10 Seminary Place
>New Brunswick, NJ 08903
>
>diamonju who-is-at rci.rutgers.edu

Peter Smagorinsky
University of Oklahoma
College of Education
Department of Instructional Leadership and Academic Curriculum
820 Van Vleet Oval
Norman, OK 73019-0260
(405)325-3533
fax: (405)325-4061
smagor who-is-at aardvark.ucs.uoknor.edu
psmagorinsky who-is-at uoknor.edu