Re: direct instruction/ Applebee's curriculum

Phillip Allen White (pwhite who-is-at carbon.cudenver.edu)
Wed, 24 Apr 1996 19:40:45 -0600 (MDT)

On Wed, 24 Apr 1996, Judy Diamondstone wrote:

When I read these words of Judy's, I was reminded about the numerous
times I utilize direct instruction when teaching children how to read.

> I see nothing wrong with direct instruction. Isn't
> explication direct instruction? Isn't providing a definition direct
> instruction? Isn't telling it how it is direct instruction? I often ask
> for direct instruction and I am grateful when I get it. The issues that
> underlie the concerns of Applebee and Betty Zan, I think, are ones of
> when, of what, how much, and for whom direct instruction is appropriate
> in a given task context. These seem to me to be extremely interesting
> and important questions that we can't take up together as long as we
> keep direct instruction out of the kit of good pedagogical resources.

Many times I urge teachers in my building to use very specific
direct instruction particularly in reading skills application. I also
expect that there will be modeling and practice and the recognition of
the importance of student approximation and scaffolded support. In fact,
practically all of the writings I have read in which scaffolded teaching
based on Vygotskian theory have utilized examples of direct instruction
when the focus was on children learning how to read.

And daily, with selected groups of children, following Marie
Clay's work, I utilize direct instruction.

Perhaps when people are unhappy with direct instruction they are
thinking about large group instruction in which there is little attempt
to relate the instruction directly to student learning needs and interests.

Phillip

pwhite who-is-at carbon.cudenver.edu