Re: Institutional individuals

Charles Bazerman (bazerman who-is-at humanitas.ucsb.edu)
Sat, 23 Sep 1995 09:24:18 -0700 (PDT)

Jay,

I think you comment that we are moving to another unit of
analysis is quite accurate. And there are many implications. One of
them is that it makes easier to explore the observation that many of our
needs, desires, motivations, and activities are social in nature--that
is, not just socially enabled (as when someone helps us lift a heavy box,
or provides us in words a procedure for lifting the box without injuring
our back, or lets us know the name of a class of pain relieving drugs
that we can get over the counter) butactually social in their end--as in
our talking with each other to share thoughts, as in our need to be
recognized by at least one other as decent, as in our need to feel at
home among others. Further this opens up the realm of our having an
active and continuing interest in particular others and groups of others
(interest in several of its multiple meanings)--these are the kinds of
things usually referred to by that myustical and somewhat obscure word
bonding. Further it opens up issues of our accommodation to what we
perceive as social/cultural/public practices in order to partake in the
group activities and perhaps even just to be acceptable as a member in
the group so as to be eligible to participate in activities, which in
turn opens up issues of ourselves acting as and seeing ourselves and
beeing seen by others as belonging to dyads, groups, and other
affiliations--all of which become part of our cognitive activity
structure. This, of course, is all rather old-hat stuff of social
psychology--but having activity accounts of such phenomena might be
quite enlightening.
Similarly when we step up to larger groupings, perhaps supported
by long traditions, regulation, economic or governmental power, real
estate holdings, and so on, other phenomena of affilaition,
participation, orientation, expectation, habit, and activity enter in.
Activity theory provides an interesting basis on which to build a
micro-participative analysis of such macro-institutions--one that
respects theJvndividuality of each person's motivation, cognition and
participation while still recognizing the orientation to and
accomplishment of larger social formations.
Actor network theory provides useful accounts of some phenomena,
particularly highlighting 1) the multiplicity of links we may have, and thus
the multiplicity of orientations that influence our activities, 2) the
way in which certain individuals can seek to have others orient to them
and thus satisfy some of their needs through a variety of
power-aggregating and organizing devices and 3) the way in which material
objects (particularly designed, technologically produced objects can
serve to organize behaviors and orientations of individuals and groups.
However, I think, moving the unti of analysis from the isolated
individual in action, even the separable individual in interaction with
oter seperable individuals, to individuals participating together in
groups opens up far more issues than are encompassed in actor network
theory--and thus call on a wide range of the conceptual tools developed
in many schools of social science.
There is an old phrase in philosophy of science, "saving the
phenomenon," to which is attributed two meanings. One is the ad hoc
attempt to save an outdated account, in the manner of epicycles to save
the earth-centered heavens. The other meaning is that every new theory
that comes along should be able to account for all existing phenomena
observed, recognized, and accounted for through prior theories--that
heliocentric accounts still needed to account for all the planetary
positions observed under the previous regime, and that relativistic
physics had to provide adequate accounts of all newtonian -phenomena. I
think it may be heuristically rather exciting to take this latter
meaning as a guideline in viewing through activity theory the social
phenomena observed by others from other perspectives. Some phenomena may
indeed evaporate under an activity gaze, but then at least we ought to be
able to give an account of something that might liook very similar to the
evaporated phenomenon, or at least why such apparitions might appear to
others looking through their antiquated lenses.

Chuck Bazerman