[Xmca-l] Re: On Vivian Paley -- Symbolic Dev and play

Frank,
Thank you for this fascinating *re-search*.
I took your advice and went to the discussion section.
I was struck by what Vivian wrote on page 77. [it converges with our recent
discussion on the transformation from the graphic functional TO the formal
systematic accounts.
Listen to how Vivian re-turns FROM the formal towards the
graphic-functional.

"I notice as I go into the older classes to discuss the issue of FAIRNESS,
 [formal] they first deal with it DISTANTLY, abstractly. As they get closer
and closer to telling the stories in which they and the other students are
PARTICIPATING, in scenes where rejection is taking place, as they can bring
onto a stage, children will say, ' Well, all right, let's just pretend
something. Pretend that I'm a worst friend; and on and on'"

Seems to be the world of *as if*

Interesting convergences
Larry