[Xmca-l] Re: A Question about Reading and Motivation

Martin,

My belief is that an approach that is rather formulaic or behaviourist can
be used to teach reading. This approach is then derided as being not real
higher order reading or creative reading etc. (it's just barking at print)
because the approach is behaviourist and behaviourism is offensive from an
ideological mindset dating back to Chomsky's critique of Skinner (my own
personal earlier mindset) or that it leaves out motivation, which was
Andy's initial gambit in this thread.

Let's compare this with algebraic literacy. Galileo worked out laws of
motion before the invention of algebra. What took him pages of tortuous
descriptive writing can now be expressed in a single line with a few
symbols which can be taught to year 8s or even to primary students. This is
described in detail in Andy DiSessa's book *Changing Minds: Computers,
Learning and Literacy* as part of an interesting discussion of the very
idea of a new literacy.

If you are very highly motivated then you might be interested in doing laws
of motion the way Galileo did them. I've shown that page in DiSessa's book
to others and usually they can't read it, it's too tortuous.

Overall, DiSessa tells a great narrative about new literacies but you have
to be a sophisticated thinker to understand it.

The current students I work with - indigenous Australians from remote
locations - include teenagers many of who have an English reading level at
reception / year 1 / year 2 due to various social and background factors
that would take some time to elaborate.

>From my experience in teaching algebra (or fractions for that matter) it's
best to introduce it in a rather mechanical fashion and then  over time
elaborate on its deeper significance. I didn't always think this. I used to
think that I should always introduce new concepts in a meaningful way
because it was offensive to my epistemological mindset not to.  It was
going through the process of teaching in disadvantaged schools and doing
some one on one teaching to a home schooling family that took me, in part,
to a different mindset. Note that my journey was epistemologically
traumatic (in horror I thought to myself "I have become Skinner"), which
informs my hypothesis about why some on this list don't  want to go there.
We all have filters and blinkers.

Still very busy on other stuff that has to be done and so only doing
suggested reading in skim fashion but will get to it eventually.

On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 9:33 AM, Martin John Packer <mpacker@uniandes.edu.co