[Xmca-l] Re: Leontyev's activities

Huw, Leontyev is quite specific that needs are the product of activity. One of the distinctions he makes between human life and non-human life is that human beings produce their own needs, historically, as a community, whereas for an animal its needs are given. So we have a kind of duplicated world: needs and the means of their satisfaction (labour). Like stimulus and response: which comes first? or do we need a new
concept which avoids this duplication of the world.

There are different interpretations of Leontyev; as I read him, the motive (let's use this word rather than "need") is objective for a person, that is the motive of the activity, as opposed to the actions of an individual person who participates in the activity, who may have other motives. Even though the motive of the activity is produced culturally and historically, it is in the world, objective. It has always been a problem for me what on Earth can be an objective need (other than those elusive "vital" needs). Like, you work in a gun factory; your motive is to earn a wage so as to look after your family. But you know the motive of the work is to produce guns. But why does the community need guns? Where did that come from? And does the factory owner really care whether he is selling guns or toys, so long as he makes a profit. Others may do better justice to Leontyev's argument
here, but I have trouble with this.

Peg: yes, Leontyev starts off with single-cell creatures and works his way up. There *is* a big leap though, with tasks that are completed by multiple actions, potentially by different individuals, and most imporantly, the production of tools, means which become themselves needs. Tracing mind from its origins in non-human life is OK, but I have trouble with ANL's concept of "subject", which could be a microbe
equally as a human.

Andy