[Xmca-l] Re: Leontyev's activities

On 8 August 2013 04:26, Andy Blunden <ablunden@mira.net> wrote:

> Lubomir,
> I agree that AN:'s concept of an activity needs to be simmplied, not
> expanded a la Engestrom, if it is to be adequate as a foundational concept.
> I also agree that the problems in the conception of an activity are not
> visible from the point of view of psychologists but they do appear as
> serious problems for social theory. Further, I don't believe Activity
> Theory can fulfill its potential until the same concepts work at micro-,
> meso- and macrolevels. Otherwise, psychologists have to just take the tasks
> as given by some abstract "society" and social theorists take their
> subjects as given by some abstract human nature." Neither is sufficient.
>
> I don't agree though, that the alternative to taking the object as
> external to the activity (as defining it) is to take the object as internal
> to the subject, a.k.a. individual. At all. I think the work of the Moscow
> Methodological Circle began in the right direction, but to my eyes, it
> ended up locked into an "engineering" approach, somewhat symmetrical with
> the cognitivism which was popular in the US at the same time.
>
> In my view, the object is *immanent* in the activity, being realised by
> the activity. The subject/object problem (or dichotomy) is resolved not by
> choosing an objective motive or a subjective sense/meaning, but by
> following Hegel in using the individual/particular/**universal
> relationship which he took to be the foundation of a concept (as the ideal
> object of an activity). I use the concept of "project" (I think I share
> this with the MMC) to represent the idea of an activity in which the object
> is imminant within the activity.
>
> Andy

I suspect there is significant scope for communicative errors on such a
point (writing/translation etc.)  E.g. the object construed by the parent
presented to the child etc.

"[Activity] can be thought of, roughly, as a kind of dynamic envelope
enclosing both subject and object."<http://www.igs.net/~pballan/Leontiev.htm>

Re theory of human needs, needs seem fairly integral to studying activity
developmentally, no?

Best,
Huw