Re: [xmca] Finland

Re teachers: on pp. 94-95 on *Finnish Lessons, *Sahlberg says that Finnish
teacher ed. does a good job of approaching the Deweyan ideal of
teacher-as-researcher. By obtaining both a content-area and educational
research master's degree, teachers are given the knowledge and
meaning-making habits they need to make autonomous decisions about
curriculum and pedagogy. They are also encouraged to cooperate with their
fellow teachers, which fosters support.  But with Jaana's post, I should
underline that I am merely describing what is written in *Finnish Lessons*.

Jaana, thank you for your comments and descriptions of Finnish
educational-political history, and reminding us of inevitable
imperfections. It's good to know that it neither came easy, nor is it
destined to continue on cruise control; it either happened overnight nor
emerged without real struggle. Rauno's background on the role of the
Agrarian Party was helpful for understanding this too, and Sahlberg does go
into a good bit of detail on this.

I guess my big question is whether Sahlberg is misrepresenting the reality
of Finnish education to such an extent that no excitement or hope is
warranted? He wouldn't be the first writer to gild the lily for the sake of
generating buzz. I think the popularity of the book comes from a need we
have here for some good news about public education. Public school is
actually under attack here in Philadelphia, as it is in Chicago, Detroit
and elsewhere. Not-so-crypto-privatization is apace through the growth of
charter schools. Any good model of public education is valuable for us if
we want to fight against these trends. I have a hard time seeing how key
improvements to the Finnish system over the past 30 or so years are not far
superior to the NCLB-inspired waves of "reform" over the past decade or so.

That said, we don't need a fairy tale. There were plenty of critiques to
make about Sahlberg's book on its own (my students offered plenty). But I
would like to use the book again alongside some published critiques.
Suggestions welcome!

Thanks again,

Andrew