[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
VS: [xmca] Finland
- To: "firstname.lastname@example.org" <email@example.com>, "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Subject: VS: [xmca] Finland
- From: Rauno Huttunen <email@example.com>
- Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2013 16:49:58 +0000
- Accept-language: fi-FI, en-US
- Delivered-to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- In-reply-to: <51D2FCD1.email@example.com>
- List-archive: <http://dss.ucsd.edu/mailman/private/xmca>
- List-help: <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org?subject=help>
- List-id: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <xmca.weber.ucsd.edu>
- List-post: <mailto:email@example.com>
- List-subscribe: <http://dss.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca>, <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org?subject=subscribe>
- List-unsubscribe: <http://dss.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca>, <mailto:email@example.com?subject=unsubscribe>
- References: <51D2FCD1.firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Reply-to: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <email@example.com>
- Sender: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Thread-index: AQHOdz+msNur9+sBmk+ubY71j5Y/ZZlRlfZC
- Thread-topic: [xmca] Finland
Pasi Sahlberg is respected educational scientist in Finland. He knows what he is talking about.
In 50th and 60th there was big debate in Finland concerning grand school reform. Existing school system was reproducing unequality. Finally party called "Maaseudun puolue" (Agrarian Party) agreed to work together with social democrats and communists in order to plan and execute of a grand school reform which would guarantee every child equal opportunities in educational system. Right wing parties gave heavy resistance but school reform was executed.
Actually I am personally perfect example of this new Finnish elementary school system. I have working class background and my school success in lower grades was poor. In old school system I would have never make it to "Lyseo" (high school/gymansium/college) and university. I had only some distant relatives who make it to Lyseo and only one who make it to university.
Now we have to fight for our school system and not let private schools run over the well working public school system.
Lähettäjä: email@example.com [firstname.lastname@example.org] käyttäjän Bruce Robinson [email@example.com] puolesta
Lähetetty: 2. heinäkuuta 2013 19:16
Aihe: [xmca] Finland
Following the recent discussion on Finnish culture, you might be
interested in this interview about the Finnish education system and `why
it is so successful from today's Guardian. There's some interesting
speculation about the relationship between relative equality and the
xmca mailing list
xmca mailing list