Re: [xmca] Operations, mental images and emotions (!)

Hi Manfred,

Less worlds colliding than ships passing in the night -  you have misunderstood what I was trying to say; my fault for writing so briefly.

My point is simple, but I think important. It is this: the fact that infants cannot form "mental images" (and I agree with you that this is the case) is not a basis for arguing that therefore they cannot perform an 'action' and consequently cannot participate in an 'activity/project.'

It is obvious to me (and I write as a developmental psychologist who has been studying children for more than 30 years) that infants are drawn into 'activities/projects' by and with their parents. The need that the infant manifests serves as the motive for the activity; the parents carry out the actions.

Martin