Re: [xmca] Wertsch proposes two distinct functions of text: univocal and dialogic

Larry, Ivan,

On this topic of poly/uni-vocality, you might find Wertsch's & Kazak's
article, "Saying more than you know in instructional settings" and
Wegerif's response, "From Dialectic to Dialogic: A response to Wertsch and
Kazak" informative.  (I don't have the pdfs, sorry).

The point from a dialogic perspective is that the new meanings are not
merely the result of new combinations or combinations of promises to be
discovered, but that the attitudes and orientations may be communicated
through a dialogical system of rapport.  i.e. the teacher expresses
(intentionally or not) their personal values in relation to a learning
point, by which they may prime pupils.  This behavioural communication
presents a supplementation to the mediation of the lesson, which implies a
more expansive view of dialogic beyond heteroglossia (supported by writers
such as Bohm and Buber) which, I believe, helps to explain Bakhtin's
derision of dialectics.

Huw