Re: [xmca] Concepts. A Crtitical Approach

No problem Allon. That should be about April 2014 I believe,
Andy

Uhlmann, Allon wrote:
Hi Andy,

I am slowly trying to catch up on my email, and I have just come across your email below.

Would you be able to circulate a message once the more affordable paperback edition is out?

Thanks heaps,

Cheers,
A.

Allon J. Uhlmann
Asst Prof of Anthro
UM -- St. Louis
http://www.umsl.edu/~uhlmanna/

P.S.:  This message comes from a mobile gizmo, and may therefore be somewhat laconic and orthographically compromised.  Sorry 'bout that.

Andy Blunden <ablunden@mira.net> wrote:

My new book is now pubished. Unfortunately too expensive for an
individual reader, but maybe your library could buy it. Cheap paperback
edition in 12 months' time:
http://www.brill.nl/concepts
Andy Blunden presents a critical review of theories of Concepts in
cognitive psychology, analytical philosophy, linguistics, conceptual
change theory and other disciplines. The problems in these disciplines
has led many to abandon the idea of Concepts altogether, particularly
those taking an interactionist approach. Blunden responds with an
historical review focussing on the idealist philosophy of Hegel, its
reception and transformation in the development of positive science and
finally the cultural psychology of Lev Vygotsky. He then proposes an
approach to Concepts which draws on Activity Theory. Concepts are
equally subjective and objective, units of consciousness and of the
cultural formation of which one is a part. This continues the author’s
earlier work in /An Interdisciplinary Theory of Activity/ (Brill 2010).
*Table of contents*
Part I. Contemporary Theory

    1. The Psychology of Concepts
    2. Narratives and Metaphors
    3. Conceptual Change and Linguistics
    4. Robert Brandom on Concepts
    5. Where we are Now with Concepts

Part II. Hegel

    6. The Story of the Concept
    7. Hegel’s Logic
    8. The Genesis of the Concept
    9. The Realisation of the Concept
    10. Hegel’s Psychology

Part III. From Philosophy to the Human Sciences

    11. The Critical Appropriation of Hegel
    12. Sources of Cultural Psychology

Part IV. Vygotsky

    13. Concepts in Childhood
    14. Vygotsky on ‘True Concepts’
    15. Concepts and Activity

Part V. Conclusion.
Acknowledgements:

    I would like to thank Mike Cole for the advice and encouragement
    over a number of years, as well as all the correspondents on the
    listserv, xmca. In particular, I thank Mike Arnold, Lois Holzman,
    David Kirschner, Jay Lemke, Carol Macdonald, Anna Sfard and Tony
    Whitson for invaluable discussions, and Lynn Beaton, Arturo
    Escandon, Helen Grimmett, Ron Lubensky, Rob Parsons, Deborah
    Rockstroh, Julian Williams and Roger Woock, who each read parts of
    the manuscript and gave me invaluable feedback. And I would like to
    thank my editor David Fasenfest for his support.