Re: [xmca] primitive language, primitive thought

On 10 August 2012 21:40, mike cole <lchcmike@gmail.com> wrote:

> My God, Larry!! Are you saying I have lived so long I have now internalized
> post-modern discourse through the substitution of timely
> fragments that allow new, potentially productive understandings, to
> develop?
>
> I brought in the Marx in an attempt to illuminate a knot of issues around
> the concept/practice of romantic science.(Besides, I am trained as a
> rat/sophomore learning theorist so fragments are all I can muster!). And
> that passed along by Tony Wilden who once worked at UCSD of all places.
>
> In my own after-school work, I find repeatedly that the
> antimonies/ tension/contradictions related to class, race, gender, age
> ..... are palpably "there" , running through my body, in often surprising
> and revealing moments. Ditto the formal/informal antimony, which is much on
> our minds these days at LCHC.
>
> The conceptual dualities in the medical field are different, at least at
> the level of restoration of brain injury. In that field, Oliver Sachs seems
> an appropriate example of the kind of romantic science that Luria
> promoted-- again, by my interpretation. More than one way to get it right,
> which is a good thing given the infinite number of ways there are to get it
> wrong!
>
> mike

The hill climbing analogy springs to mind.  With this sort of thing, I
believe that the most significant guidance is that things fall into place
better.  The problem is that a better view is not accessible without
descending from one's current best understanding.  Of course, there are
always confusions and small tugs that suggest that a better view is
available.

I suspect that trying to convey a true sense of romantic science is rather
like trying to convey materialism.  Materialism is too easily conflated
with empirical positivism.  The intuitive mind rejects empirical positivism
and flies to idealism.  But without trying to throw the kitchen sink at a
conceptual understanding (rather than merely metaphorical impressionism),
it will have thrown out materialism along with positivism.

Romantic science, for me, is to know that there are limits to science, but
yet to hold the science as central to one's life, and ones life as central
to the science.  Both inform each other which as has been said are an and.

Whenever I found myself worrying about money and similar issues, it always
impresses me that reading the really good psychologies brings to mind these
truths and re-evaluations.

Huw