Re: [xmca] The essence of the aesthetic reaction

Hmm,  A reminder of  Bateson's work, Hugh, and his appeal towards function
and form.

Larry I also have wondered how to understand, not *reception* of Art, as
consumption but rather production and aesthetic response in everyday life.
I have not read Margaret Gredler, but here
  * humans actively intervene in situations in which natural processes are
inadequate

 I'd ask as living beings we can't really be totally separated from our
bodies and 'natural processes ( I think this turn of going above the
biological became emphasised in reaction to  theoretical stimulus response
theory - but we have now passed this moment and it needs  different
expression)  'Mastery' is not open -ended  in this terminology .
* humans create or appropriate symbols to gain control and MASTER a
cognitive process
* the symbols do not change or influence the object of the task but the
symbols redirect or reconstruct the individual's cognitive behavior in
approaching the task.

Another essay borrowing from Vygotsky appears here
http://www.bath.ac.uk/csat/reading/documents/2012/060212reading.pdf
 Reading through pp4-8 I still struggle to find production rather than
consumption of art objects.

It wouldn't be 'the other way round' that David encounters as weird
" we begin by an idealizing abstraction, and it is only in the subsequent
development of our aesthetic sensibility that we approach complexity "
 As production would be cognitively reaching idealizing abstraction in our
embodied living (I take  Wittgenstein's 'full-blooded' to be a nod to
embodied living) .
 Christine.