Re: [xmca] Direct Instruction: observations at Djarragun college, Cape York, Australia

I wrote to Zig Engelmann to ask him which sections of his website he would
recommend to explain the emphasis on various forms of logic - deduction,
inference in DI. Here is part of his response with links added:

Zigsite has several works that go into detail, provide examples of the
wrong way and right way, and explain the process that we follow in
developing programs. The most detailed work is Rubric for Identifying
Authentic Direct Instruction Programs
http://www.zigsite.com/PDFs/rubric.pdf
 A shorter paper focuses on the key notion of presenting examples that lead to
one and only one generalization: “The Curriculum Is the Cause of Failure.”
http://www.zigsite.com/PDFs/CurriculumCauseFailure.pdf

I wouldn’t recommend the book Theory of Instruction by Carnine and me, because
the reader probably would have serious problems following it. However, one
of the addresses on Zigsite.com hits the high points of theory as it
relates to constructing sets of examples that lead to one and only one
possible interpretation. The video is: Theory of Direct Instruction
http://www.zigsite.com/video/theory_of_direct_instruction_2009.html

The video reminded me that someone mentioned a recent book by Engelmann et
al "Could John Stuart Mill Have Saved Our Schools?"
http://www.amazon.com/Could-John-Stuart-Saved-Schools/dp/1578617456

The video made me smile. In the past I would have dismissed it as
simplistic and one sided in terms of philosophy, theory and balance . Part
of me still thinks that but another part of me is more aware that this
approach is the one that has actually delivered results for the
disadvantaged and so has to be taken seriously. I don't know now actually
what I'm laughing about when I watch this video - Engelmann's simplicity or
the possible stupidity of my own intellectual complexity. Either way it's
entertaining.