[xmca] Fwd: Rethinking Columbus Banned in Tucson

So no study of Freire in school Mexican American Studies courses.! No critical studies of the past? This is appalling news.

Shirley

From: "Rethinking Schools" <enewsletter@rethinkingschools.org>
Date: 19 January 2012 01:59:38 GMT
To: s.franklin@dsl.pipex.com
Subject: Rethinking Columbus Banned in Tucson

If you have trouble reading this email, please visit the following URL in your web browser: http://www.rethinkingschools.org/opt-in/ 120119.shtml

Dear Rethinking Schools friends,

Did you see the news last week? On Friday, we learned that our book Rethinking Columbus was banned — along with other books used in Tucson's Mexican American Studies program, including Paulo Freire's A Pedagogy of the Oppressed, Rodolfo Acuña's Occupied America, and Elizabeth Martinez's 500 Years of Chicano History in Pictures. So we're in good company.

School authorities confiscated the books during class—boxed them up and hauled them off. As one student said, "We were in shock ... It was very heartbreaking to see that happening in the middle of class."

This is the latest chapter in the rightwing attempt to ban ethnic studies in Arizona. Last week, facing the loss of $15 million in state support, the governing board of Tucson's schools voted 4-1 to terminate the popular and successful Mexican American Studies program.

On Friday, I spoke to the Tucson school district's director of communications, who told me that the books had to be seized and carted away, because they were "evidence"—as if the teaching going on there were a crime scene. On Tuesday, the district protested that no books had been "banned"—although district officials admitted that they had been "boxed and stored" and could not be used in class. Sounds like "banning" to me.

Rethinking Schools is talking with teachers, students, and activists in Tucson about how we can help their struggle there. We will let you know as we gather ideas.

Do you have ideas to express support for Tucson teachers and students, and to organize opposition to Arizona's banning of Mexican American Studies and Tucson's confiscation of books in their curriculum? Please post ideas to the Rethinking Schools facebook page, or if you're not on facebook, e-mail me.

We'll follow up soon.

For more information, check out Jeff Biggers' Salon.com article, "Who's Afraid of 'The Tempest'?" Debbie Reese's, "Teaching Critical Thinking in Arizona: NOT ALLOWED," Biggers' Huffington Post interview with Tucson teacher Curtis Acosta, and my Rethinking Schools blog post.

Thanks for your important work.

Bill Bigelow
bill@rethinkingschools.org

This message is being sent to the email list maintained by Rethinking Schools. We use this list to tell our friends about updates to our website, special offers, and breaking news on important education issues. Rethinking Schools never sells or trades this list to anyone. If you feel you received this message in error, or wish to be removed from our email list for any reason, please use the link:

http://rethinking-schools.org/cgi-bin/email_list_remove.pl? remove=s.franklin@dsl.pipex.com

or forward this message to us at remove@rethinkingschools.org with the word "REMOVE" in the Subject, and tell us to remove the email address s.franklin@dsl.pipex.com from our list.

Read and subscribe to Rethinking Schools magazine, and purchase Rethinking Schools publications at www.rethinkingschools.org. || Follow us on Twitter at twitter.com/rethinkschools. || Like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/rethinkingschools. || Opt-in to our email notices at www.rethinkingschools.org/about/join_e-list.asp.

Rethinking Schools is a nonprofit publishing and advocacy organization. We rely on the generosity of our donors and volunteers.