[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [xmca] Peter Smagorinsky on concepts
- To: email@example.com, "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Subject: Re: [xmca] Peter Smagorinsky on concepts
- From: Huw Lloyd <email@example.com>
- Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 13:46:06 +0000
- Delivered-to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to :content-type; bh=DUWV+2KUaJGDkVVHlZY1/3lSeK2EHMz4ATpTXTI9zDU=; b=LNrwveiXUtISoUuEfnVzRT7ge/2IqgVIhrZg3yZXL6a6p9WFxfO7/EPBFnIpiiEEwb tQ6p60T9WbsYapCaUuB7K0wgQ8qpRMSciF/oLGQVLv4prW32gpiQGn0p2NxIncuUEYw9 0FBdTVOyGsyvV5YubsI5J3gZr4NQrfqUmJ1Fc=
- In-reply-to: <4F156FD3.email@example.com>
- List-archive: <http://dss.ucsd.edu/mailman/private/xmca>
- List-help: <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org?subject=help>
- List-id: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <xmca.weber.ucsd.edu>
- List-post: <mailto:email@example.com>
- List-subscribe: <http://dss.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca>, <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org?subject=subscribe>
- List-unsubscribe: <http://dss.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca>, <mailto:email@example.com?subject=unsubscribe>
- References: <CAHJHQS9hO0ijvfMKa+iFf-dyDWXErLnAcBCUx4xkTO=fmWAd4g@mail.gmail.com> <CAG1MBOGqhECb7NP7nQ36+qyOWOUGgNnOJB17Ep-JywBhePHz6w@mail.gmail.com> <4F14B036.firstname.lastname@example.org> <CAG1MBOH-s4YD=NB+=sVngXTb=npWgade3paNqw6ZBAqhQVGaaQ@mail.gmail.com> <4F14D0AA.email@example.com> <CAG1MBOGuJS8cQdcNWVSRoQMjg7sHmXMU==jUu28if_7AWf9sdw@mail.gmail.com> <4F14F6E6.firstname.lastname@example.org> <CAG1MBOE15DFFq7HK=uj_YCCnh0=eBWZOZfRZw4o_zb7d9y9poA@mail.gmail.com> <4F156283.email@example.com> <CAG1MBOFF3naP6NE_R9NyPmqzuFnY4TqAQJM19Qv1nDd_1dRfCw@mail.gmail.com> <4F156FD3.firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Reply-to: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <email@example.com>
- Sender: firstname.lastname@example.org
On 17 January 2012 12:55, Andy Blunden <email@example.com> wrote:
> Huw Lloyd wrote:
>> That's another point of disagreement. It seems as plain as day to me that
>> personal experience participates from the outset.
>> Bye for now,
> This is the point, Huw. Vygotsky is studying i*deal- typical paths of
> development*, not categories of mental entity.
> Actually, there's a passage in the Vasilyuk I sent around before which
> explains this general methodological point in a slightly different context,
> very well;
> “The most direct cause of this lack of acceptance [of ANL’s thesis
> that a motive is the object which stimulates activity] was that
> commentators saw the thesis not as meaningful abstraction but as a
> generalisation from empirically observed facts on stimulation of
> activity, to be verified by direct reference to those facts. If in
> the process of such reference even one fact appeared which did not
> fit in with the idea of activity being stimulated by an object
> corresponding to a need, then the idea could be discarded as not in
> accord with the facts, or at most not fully satisfactory” (p. 85).
> If I explained to you the concept of convergence of an infinite series, it
> may well be that you had already had personal experience of infinite series
> and their convergence in your day-to-day life (though I don't know how).
> But this still does not negate the idea of a scientific concept as an
> ideal-typical path of development which begins from a verbal definition,
> and not from everyday sensorimotor experience.
The path of acquiring a concept is not the concept. The flight of a moth
and is not light.
> xmca mailing list
xmca mailing list