Re: [xmca] Education and Finland

On 30 December 2011 13:47, Wagner Luiz Schmit <wagner.schmit@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello fellow researchers,
>
> Sometimes I few quite desperate trying to bring some changes in Education
> in Brazil... Many things in the following article is real for Brazil too...
> The sad part is that in 1930 (in this time greatly influenced by Dewey
> Ideas) some Brazilian legislators tried to implement some of the things
> pointed out... and also again in 1988... But the private school and
> religious school sectors had many lobbyists... And although Vygotsky is
>  one of the "theorists of the fashion" in Brazil now, we are day by day
> going more in the direction of USA than Finland...
>
> A comment from the Finn colleague that sent me the article:
>
> "A brilliant example how core message cannot be heard because its opposed
> to the dominant paradigm. The madness is that the poisonous paradigm is
> seeping our way too, despite the fact that our results pwn."
>
> This "madness" has been my major concern by years... In Brazil public basic
> education is simply going down and down... The capacity for reading
> and interpretation of texts of university freshman is also dropping, and
> fast...

I don't think this is limited to Brazil alone.  I'm not sure inculcating
independent thought is high on any university's agenda.

Logically, the only occasion under which accommodation takes place, rather
than assimilation, is when there's a clear contradiction.  Even this
requires persistence and objectivity, let alone a taste for accommodation.

Regarding schools, does anyone know what the ration of pupils attending
public vs private schools is in Finland?  The impression I got from the
previous video posted was that it was not as significant as elsewhere,
which makes the comparison more problematic.

Huw