Re: [xmca] Re: Word Meaning and Action: What' Plausible branch?

I am comfortable calling a language an institution, although that requires using "institution" in a very broad sense.

For some purposes, it could be necessary to differentiate among social institutions, legal institutions, cultural institutions, etc. But I am completely comfortable recognizing all of theose as institutions.

And, at more local levels: I would see the "C,F,&J thing" in Wenger's book (it's a form, and the practices of filling out and using the form in an insurance company) as an institution.

These all function as signs, which is not to say that their existence is exhausted in their being as signs.

Are they all also tools, or artefacts? I expect that the C,F,&J form, at least, would be regarded as a tool and artefact.

I don't think I understand yet the issue about tools/artefacts, or the discussion of words as tools. I can see how some time a word could be used to perform the function as a tool (there are ways I could use a word to effect what might otherwise be effected with a shovel, without regard for what else the word might do, _qua_ word -- and to do it with a shovel might result in greater physical injury.)

It has seemed to me sometimes that a preoccupation with "tools" reflects an anxiety in the marxian tradiion about bridging the gap between mental and material realms of being. Since I've never seen Being as bifurcated in that way, I have not felt that anxiety.