Re: [xmca] concepts for LSV and us

Hi Martin & Monica

Monica,
you wrote,

Also, I'd like to add here the notice of the use of metaphor as generative
or creative as a discernible increase in generalization, or conceptual
change. Does the recognition of a double-meaning or a deeper meaning occur
in the word choice before the utterance or after? Does what might be
considered a spontaneous activity then become a mediating influence?
Monica

In my understanding of metaphor as Lakoff and Johnson use the term, metaphor
[especially PRIMARY metaphor] is PRIOR to word choice.  They suggest that
there are foundational metaphors which are similar to Jung's notions of
"archeypes" as basic structurings  [conceptual structurings???] that are the
inner form that are manifested in *communication* [more general than
discourse]   I'm not sure if my reading of their text is how they were
meaning the term *primary* metaphor but it is how I read their meaning.

The primary metaphor of "container* as a foundational concept I find
intriguing as it points to the centrality of *structure* when understanding
human development.  Bradd Shore also points to the centrality of
*containment* when he writes,

We need not choose between structuralist and praxis-oriented accounts of
meaning construction.  Formalist accounts of knowledge structures employ
constructs like schemata, mental models, and prototype effects.
Praxis-oriented perspectives treat meaning construction as a creative and
ongoing process that accompanies practical activities and problem solving
and involves analysis of *discourses* IN EXPERIENCE rather than structures
OF EXPERIENCE.

The very objectified knowledge structures that have come under such
insistent attack by post-structuralists as reifications are likely an
essential and an *essentialist* MOMENT in all cultural cognition.  The
attack on structuralist strategies of cultural knowledge has tended to
assume that reification is practised as outsiders interested in
appropriating authentic cultural experience of others as a form of
domination....

Yet cultural processes include reification as a necessary MOMENT in both
individual understanding and social coordination of experience.  It is
important to distinguish the sort of subversive reifications against which
the new ethnographic sensibility is directed from other reifications that
are INTRINSIC to cultural cognition.  Otherwise, culture itself becomes
inextricably identified with structures of domination, a position that is
deeply problematical.

Since reification occurs only AS PART OF a larger dialectic by which these
structures are re-created in experience, neither reification nor praxis
alone can CONSTITUTE THE ESSENCE of cultural analysis.  A GENERAL theory of
culturally mediated meaning construction should make clear the RELATIONS
BETWEEN the objectifying and the creative dimensions of meaning making."
{American Anthropologist, Vol. 83 Issue 1 pages 9-27 March 1991].

Bradd Shore's article read in conjunction with Anna Stetsenko's article's on
*transformative activist stance* and Lakoff & Johnson's notions of primary
metaphors leaves me pondering how essential is a motivating *sense* of
*containment* in folk psychology discourse [in tension with emancipatory
narratives of transformation.]  Hermeneutics speaks to images of containment
and therefore is sometimes labelled *traditional* & conservative [in its
focus on historical consciousness as GIVEN]  However, Martin's exploration
of "inner FORM" may be another discourse which is exploring themes which
lakoff and Johnson are labelling primary metaphor and hermeneutics frames as
foundational.

Just curious

Larry