Re: [xmca] concepts for LSV and us

Martin & Jay & Anna and others

Commognition as a term Anna has coined to capture a relation between
communication and cognition has an historical context that is a particular
example of what I think Anton Marty is referring to as *inner form* .  The
article Martin posted by W. Leopold  in 1929, exploring Anton Marty's notion
of inner form, [that challenged Wundt's principle of parallelism of mind and
language as a DIRECT outgrowth of mind] was helpful to try to grasp Marty's
notion of inner form and Martin's further elaboration.

For Leopold and Marty the SOURCE of language is NOT self-expression but
rather the DESIRE for communication.  Creation therefore is purposeful,
teleological and USES an inner form by CHOOSING EXPRESSIONS which are
generally associated with the meaning the speaker is attempting TO EVOKE
intersubjectively in order to communicate.  The speaker chooses a particular
form that will LEAD [mark] the hearer to the correct *understanding*.
However Leopold suggests if a universally associated form is not available
[in the discourse community],

"he selects another form, the habitual meaning of which is closely enough
related to the actually desired one, by either contiguity or analogy, to be
likely TO LEAD the hearer to the correct understanding with the help of the
context.  Such an AUXILIARY concept Marty called (with Steinhal) the
*etymon*, or, more frequently, the inner speech form." (p. 257)

This auxiliary meaning LEADS or EVOKES in the hearer "primarily a conception
which was NOT the desired meaning, but which helped to grasp it.  Leopold
suggests EVERY metaphor falls under this category of *inner form* as
auxiliary concept.  A speaker can boldly choose to create a new form as
auxiliary meaning to EVOKE a specific meaning better than the conventional
terms.  Anna's term *commognition* can be seen as an example of evoking a
specific meaning that relates communication and cognition.

Jay, you qualified your post with the comment,

I just want to say that IF LSV meant that conceptual thinking happens ONLY
through verbal signs, then I would disagree insofar as I believe it happens
through more complex multi-modal sign resources, including not only
language, but also visual signs, motor actions functioning as signs,
emotional feelings functioning as signs, and pretty much anything
functioning as a sign insofar as it can be "imagined", i.e. function in
inner-directed meaning-making. (For outer-directed meaning-making actual
physical objects / artifacts can also play a part in the total mix.)

I hope as this conversation moves forward that *images* as they relate to
commognition and concepts are elaborated.   I  agree with you that emotional
feelings function as signs.  In conclusion, when talking about the place of
*desires* in development the centrality of the desire to communicate
[intersubjectivity, not self-expression] as foundational to
cultural-historical/subjective development seems a good place to start

Larry