[xmca] Re:Walls, Bridges, Imitation and Creativity

Dear Larry:

Welcome back! Well...I can't help but feel that you are "pulling my leg" JUST A LITTLE with all those quotation marks and capitalizations. I know I overuse them; Andy has remonstrated with me more than once, but unfortunately self-control is rather beyond my ZPD at the present moment. Perhaps your gentle parody will help, at least for this post.

I guess what I get out of the "abductive logic" passacaglia you lay out is that abductive logic is a quite weak form of logic. Let's say, for example, that we are interested in why children sometimes answer a question in the present continuous with simple present, like this:

T: What is Jinho doing?
S: Jinho play (sic) soccer.

This is surprising because children tend to be economical; they will repeat the tense they just heard rather than switch to a new one. That is why "Jinho play (sic) soccer" seems to follow from "What does Jinho play?"

Now, you say that we can reason abductively as follows. The use of the simple present after a question in the present continuous is a surprising fact. But this surprising fact would be perfectly natural if:

a) The child doesn't understand and therefore can't imitate the tense of the question.
b) The child understands but cannot imitate the tense of the question.
c) The child understand and can imitate the tense of the question, but suffers from default condition called Universal Grammar which stipulates that when in doubt the speaker must use the simple present,
d) The child is imitating his own behavior in previous utterances ("I play soccer", "I like apples") rather than the grammar of the question.
e) Children don't listen to teachers.
f) Language learning is a cognitive process which resists any and all variation in social context, etc.

You can see that some of these propositions are wildly plausible, and others are not. You can see why: they are at wildly different levels of generality. And you can probably tell that abductive logic as you lay it out does not give us much help in differentiating between them.

Here, on the other hand, is a nonabductive explanation, an inductive explanation taken from many many observations of real data. Unfortunately, it requires a bit of background, and some rather confusing terminology.

In our previous discussion of Poehner and Lantolf, I was taken to task for using the term "imperfective" to describe the present perfect tense in English. Now what I meant was that statements like "I have been to China" or  "I have lived in Seoul since 1997" refer to events that are not well defined in the sense of having two clear defining endpoints on a timeline (the former example has no endpoints at all, and the latter has only one).

For Korean kids, the definition of an event in time (that is, the ability to observe a clear beginning and a clear end) is a big problem with English verbs, in much the same way that the definition of an object in space (that is, the ability to observe how it is separated from other objects) is a big problem with our nouns (countability, pluralization, the use of articles, quantifiers and other specifiers).

This problem, which seems to me both very general and quite specific to this data, is not in our abductive list and not likely to be there. But it does seem to me to hold the key to the problem. Our kids tend to think of anything after a copula as a noun ("That's a soccer ball") or an adjective ("I'm fine"). So as far as they can tell the question's got nothing to do with a verb at all.

Of course, the kids DO have verbs that are not copular. But the most popular, by far, verb in my data base of creative utterances (that is, utterances which are improvised and not produced by repeating a model) are mental process verbs, e.g. "like" and "want". And mental process verbs do not have a clear beginning or end in English, and for that very reason they almost always appear in a semantically "imperfect" form, that is, in the simple present (which presupposes rather murky beginnings and endings) rather than the continuous (which assumes HERE and NOW).

The child's model of a verb, then, is not a physical action. It's also not a relationship between nouns, although the copula is the most common verb form they have at this particular age, thanks to their preoccupation with nouns. Instead, it's a mental process, like "like" or "want", which has a clear subject, and a clear object, but no clear beginning or end.

The child construes "play" along the lines of "like" or "want", and does not see that unlike the mental process verbs, playtime has a clear beginning and a clear end. Why doesn't the child see this? Well, for one thing, we don't teach it that way!

I can't be sure that this is the solution to the problem. But I do know that I didn't get here by building a bridge backwards, through abductive logic; I got here by charging through a morass of data and trying to see a pattern in real practice, not in potential explanations for a single soliton.

And that is yet another reason why I think we should be very skeptical about about Mao Zedong's and Deng Xiaoping's idea that practice is the paramount criterion of truth: if practice is the cause, it does not help us very much to also call it the criterion.

Let me end by trying to tie this thread to Mike's kite of summarizing the debate on the Zoped, the ZBR, the ZeBRa. I think when Vygotsky says that imitation provides the practical content of the beast, he is not saying that imitation is development, or even that it is learning.

He is only saying that in practice it's imitation which provides the content of the next zone of development. That content is always going to be changing, which accounts for the variability in the zone which Mike has noted (deplored?). In my example, and in most of the examples I have been thinking about, that content has something to do with the graspture of mastery and a consequent seizure of conscious awareness (which includes a deliberate analysis of the structure of an action or even a thought).

There's a good reason for that; I'm talking about kids who are, developmentally, somewhere between the Crisis at Seven (the discovery of "acting out" and role playing, invisible friends, avatars, etc.) and the Crisis at Thirteen (the discovery that you can act out roles without any actual role model, by using abstract rules, concepts, ideas and ideals).

This is a period where skills lead to knowledge, where mastery leads, slowly but surely, to the graspture of awareness. I think that creativity, the ability to act a role that nobody has ever shown you, is a key sign that awareness has been achieved. What happens after that, however, is a rather different kind of content and, as a consequence, a rather different species of zebra.

David Kellogg
Seoul National University of Education