Re: [xmca] Fwd: playzone

Too much there for me to grok all at one time, Larry, but starting near the
top I wanted to respond to this:
*"Why do we emphasize the differences between "play" and "learning" which
create historically constituted boundaries?  Could a case be made for
interweaving play and learning into a single dialogical zone of
intersubjective development?"

*Efforts at environmental design such as the playworlds described in some of
the MCA publications (one of which was discussed here, as I recall), the 5th
Dimension project started at LCHC, Eugene's work at Los Redes in Deleware,
Lois and colleagues Allstars project, as well as recent virtual world
efforts such as Quest Atlantis try exactly to * interweave  **"play and
learning into a single dialogical zone of intersubjective development?" .

*Here's a question about all of this work I think needs attention, if only
to dismiss it : How does design research that creates playworlds (broadly
construed) as a mode of theory and practice confront John-Laird's insistence
(reviewing Jim Wertsch's 1985 book on Vygotsky) that if the work does not
adopt the computational approach as both theory and tool-generating
methodology, it does not count as useful theory?
*
*mike
*
*