Re: [xmca] Piaget on Within-Stage Variability

The following passage from *Cultural Psychology* may be wrong, but may be
promising. Its ancient now,
of course, and the ancients had a unique human ability to be incorrect,
unlike us! :-)
mike
PS-- Note the non-accidental similarity to Engels.
--------------------------

 *The Issue of Temporal Succession*

In attempting to characterize the temporal relationship between phylogeny
and cultural history, one early 20th century misconception that the Russian
cultural-historical psychologists shared with their anthropological
colleagues in the United States was that there is a strict temporal
succession: first comes phylogeny, then cultural history. They summarized
their notion of how the different developmental domains interact as follows:

... one process of development dialectically prepares for the next one,
transforming and changing into a new type of development. We do not think
that all three processes fall into a straight-line sequence. Instead, we
believe that each higher type of development starts precisely at the point
where the previous one comes to an end and serves as its continuation in a
new direction.

 The first sentence in this passage appears a straightforward statement of
the reasonable idea that phylogeny constitutes the context for
cultural-history and that cultural history forms the proximal context of
ontogeny. Each time two streams of history come together, a context is
created in which a new processes, a new type of development, emerges. This
idea needs to be held on to and elaborated.

But, as Wertsch (1985) has pointed out, the idea that each "higher" level
starts precisely at the point where the previous one comes to an end is a
real problem. This idea reflects a "critical point" theory of cultural
origins of the kind proposed by Alfred Kroeber (1917) when he introduced the
idea of culture as a superorganic reality separate from phylogeny. As seen
in Figure 6.2,  Kroeber depicts cultural history "lifting off" from

[Figure 6.2]

phylogeny. The evidence presented earlier that mediation through artifacts
makes its appearance in the hominid line millions of years before the
appearance of homo sapiens argues against a critical point theory and for a
process of dialectical interaction between phylogenetic and cultural
history.[1] <#_ftn1>

 A second problematic assumption in the passage cited above is that there is
a genetic hierarchy within and among domains. I am uncertain about what it
could mean to say that ontogeny was a "higher level" than phylogeny or
cultural history, except in so far as ontogenies are always constituted of
the most recent developments in phylogeny and cultural history. This sort of
interpretation of evolution-as-progress, a pervasive notion in the 19th
Century and 20th Centuries, is subject to a plethora of criticisms, and not
only by post-modernists (Toulmin, 1990).

With respect to understanding the dialectical interaction among genetic
domains, Vygotsky himself offered a more promising description in a
statement written at almost the same period concerning the course of
ontogenesis.

The growth of the normal child into civilization usually involves a fusion
with the processes of organic maturation. Both planes of development--the
natural and the cultural--coincide and mingle with one another. The two
lines of change interpenetrate one another and form what is essentially a
single line of sociobiological formation of the child's personality. To the
extent that development occurs in the cultural medium, it becomes
transformed into an historically conditioned biological process (1930/1960,
p. 47)

This statement retains the idea that there is a qualitative reorganization
of the developing entity brought about when different genetic domains fuse.
But instead of the principles of one domain replacing the other, the two
become intermingled into a single life system in which a new, synthetic,
principle of development operates.

<#_ftnref1>     [1]The graph in Figure 6.2 might also be interpreted as
depiction of Engel's statement that "The eternal laws of nature to an ever
greater extent are changing into laws of history."