Re: [xmca] Piaget on Within-Stage Variability

I just finished retranslating Piaget's comments on from the French original in Francoise Seve's translation of Thinking and Speech (the original manuscript in Piaget' s hand was apprently LOST by MIT Press and parts of it had to be retranslated from the English).

One of the things you notice in reading this is that Piaget has a very strong tendency to concede things and then discount their importance (e.g. Yes, Vygotsky was right about the fate of self-directed "egocentric speech" but it doesn't really matter because by the time inner speech develops, intelligence has already emerged through other mechanisms).

It seems to me that this is another good example. Piaget concedes that there is an enormous amount of variability within stages (at least DOWNWARD variation, the centration of the child imposes a very clear limit on upward variation), but ir really doesn't matter because what we are looking at is performance errors; the child is simply unable to perform his competence, and this has no real effect on that underlying competence which depends on development.

Vygotsky turns this completely upside down. It is precisely this variability of performance that LEADS development. What happens is that not that the child UNDERPERFORMS some putative competence clearly limited by some supposed developmental glass ceiling. What happens is that the child OVERPERFORMS his mental structures thanks to various affordances in his environment, and the "intro-revolution" of those affordances is what creates new mental structures.

I just listened, over lunch,  to Mike's talk on Zopeds (I kept waiting to hear exactly why he called it that, and all he said was that it's easier to say in English). At first, I was a little irked by the name (I prefer "Nemode", for Next Moment of Development!). I was also a little irked by the emphasis on dual stimulation. For me, the term "dual stimulation" suggests very early Vygotsky, reflexology, and the "second signal system" interpretation of speech.

But I can see that if we could just come up with some other name for it, "dual stimulation" is a really important concept. I think, in fact, it would help us DIFFERENTIATE variability within the various stages. Kim Yongho and I tried to do that in our article "Rules Out of Roles", which argued that WITHIN schoolwork it helps to differentiate between the "main activity" (which is for the most part neither conducive nor susceptible to development) and a "leading one" (which necessarily occupies a small fraction of the school day but which plays a leading role in development).

It seems to me, though, that we got it wrong. We assumed that because "rules" are more abstract form of dual stimulation, they must be developmentally higher. This appeared to be corraborated by the much poorer quality of the language we saw generated in the rule-based games compared to the role plays. The problem is that rules and roles are so thoroughly interpenetrated in any game that any statement like this is based on a rather arbitrary classification that has little psychological reality for the child.

So how do we go forward? The more I think about it, the more it seems to me that Paula's work on Chapter Five might be the key. But one has to consider each of the preconcepts described by Vygotsky not as products but as results of dual stimulation, or tool/sign bearing processes. Its as processes that we can really talk (as Vygotsky does in Chapter Six) of generalizing the generalizations instead of just throwing them away and starting over again like poor old Sisyphus.

In Chapter Five, LSV points out that there is a kind of link between each new psychological structure and some important activity in the child's daily life: the collection is clearly connected to activities like brushing teeth, putting on clothes, going to bed, while the chain complex is connected to games like tag where the loser becomes the "it" and generates new losers, and the diffuse complex suggests an imaginative tale--which means it is at a HIGHER level of development rather than a LOWER one as Kim and Kellogg 2007 argued.

Tonight I am teaching some grads about a new elementary school book written by a colleague across the hall. There are five characters:

Kobi (a Martian who speaks English)
Mike (a little Jewish boy, maybe Mike Cole with Leon Trotsky's hair)
Dami (a Korean girl)
Sally (a British girl with two pet hamsters)
Jisu (a Korean boy)

The idea is to have FIVE different activities with these characters corresponding to the different preconceptual structures of Chapter Five:

SYNCRETIC:

T: Listen and CIRCLE. I am Jinsu. I am Kobi. We are Jinsu and Mike. We are Kobi and Sally…etc. Who has more circles? More, more, more! Who has many? Who has most? Each circle is a HUNDRED won! What’s your score?

ASSOCIATIVE COMPLEX

T: Listen and CIRCLE: I am a boy. I’m a girl. I’m a child. I’m a Korean. We are foreigners. We are humans. More, more, more! What's your score?

COLLECTION COMPLEX:

T: Listen and CIRCLE. The rainbow club has one of EACH kind of child. Who has the biggest rainbow club? More, more, more! What's your score?

CHAIN COMPLEX: This is based on the Korean "frying pan game". Each child says a name and then another name--that child is next. Make a mistake and you get hit in the head with an imaginary frying pan.

Round One
S1: I am Kobi!
S2: I am Dami.
S3: I am Sally.
S4: I am Jisu.

Round Two
S1: I am Kobi. you are Sally.
S3: I am Sally. You are Jisu.
etc.

DIFFUSE COMPLEX:

T: Listen and circle, adding ONE or MORE members, e.g.

S1: I am Jisu.
S2: I am a Korean. (Jisu and Dami)
S3: I am human. (Jisu, Dami, Sally, Mike)

You can see, though, that if you differentiate TOO much like this, you get exactly what Mike warns against in his talk: development is simply reduced to learning, specifically, to learning the particular conceptual structure that we find in the "dual stimulation" apparatus!

David Kellogg
Seoul National University of Education