Re: [xmca] Beth Ferholt on Playworlds on vimeo.com

My guesses, Beth. ... A Skype interview movie cannot substitute for a 10,000 word article in an academic journal. The vimeo collection we are building is not intended to of course, since it's audience is generally people who are "learning about CHAT," rather than people who alread aficienados. But even given the same audience, a 30 minute talk (1) does what a short talk to a live audience does, it lays out a small number of main claims in relation to a topic and delivers in a summary way some arguments supporting those claims. But for any audience (2) it provides a object for discussion, an artefact, in our own jargon. Peter's talk, which is imperfect if treated as if it were a 10,000 word joural article, is a great stimulant to discussion. That's why I describe Peter as courageous for having done it. :) I think for example, if you wanted a class discussion about the psychology of art, Peter's talk would be a good place to start. Play the movie and then have a half-hour student discussion about it. It would set you up for a semester. If David does one as well, there's your next semester of class debate taken care of.

That's how I see it.
Andy

PS. BTW, your talk is great. The xmca discussion is behind us, but in a way, the video might have served xmca discussion even better.
Beth Ferholt wrote:
I am struggling with, and am interested in comments concerning: 1) how complex ideas in a paper for MCA can be presented to an audience including undergraduates without any "dumbing down," and 2) ways to use film to create a lesson that is more of a one-way class on skype than a documentation of a lecture.
Thanks, Beth