Re: [xmca] Beth Ferholt on Playworlds on vimeo.com

Thank you Andy.
The lecture is from Robert's and my paper (same title) in MCA, discussed
last year on XMCA, and if anyone happens to both see the lecture and has
also read the paper ...
I am struggling with, and am interested in comments concerning: 1) how
complex ideas in a paper for MCA can be presented to an audience including
undergraduates without any "dumbing down," and 2) ways to use film to create
a lesson that is more of a one-way class on skype than a  documentation of a
lecture.
Thanks, Beth

On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 8:46 AM, Andy Blunden <ablunden@mira.net> wrote:

> A talk by Beth Ferholt entitled: "Adult and Child Development in the Zone
> of Proximal Development. Socratic Dialogue in a Playworld" is now avaiable
> on vimeo.com
>
>  http://vimeo.com/groups/39473/videos/15011909
>
> This talk supports the 2-part video made in a classroom with kids planning
> a dramatic performance which people would have seen before. Robert Lecusay
> is also involved. Beth and Robert will be amending the video but it will
> remain available via the CHAT group on Vimeo:
>
>      http://vimeo.com/groups/39473/videos
>
> Andy
>
> Andy Blunden wrote:
>
>> Many of you may be interested in the latest addition to the collection of
>> CHAT videos on vimeo.com:
>>
>>   http://vimeo.com/14844396
>>
>> The video is an interview recorded via Skype in Melbourne Australia, with
>> Peter Smagorinsky in Athens, Georgia USA, on Vygotsky's Psychology of Art.
>>
>> Apologies for the quality of the video at my end, but fortunately, you
>> won't see much of it. The quality of the video and audio at Peter's end is
>> OK.
>>
>> In a 30-minute interview one can't go too deep, but Peter does a
>> marvellous job of stimulating interest in the topic rather than
>> pontificating, and offers new angles on a number of issues of interest to
>> everyone on this list.
>>
>> Peter has a paper in an upcoming issue of MCA. I read the paper and this
>> gave us the basis for the interview. This is something anyone of us could
>> do, interviewing an MCA author. Peter's interview is not intended to be at
>> the level of peer reviewed research, but is a great introduction to the
>> topic of the journal article. Future xmca discussions would possibly benefit
>> from such interviews. The whole job is done with Skype (which is free) and
>> Vodburner which you can 'hire' for $10 a month, and includes a somewhat
>> clunky but adequate video editing tool.
>>
>> Anyone interested in emulating this idea?
>>
>> Andy
>>

> --

Beth Ferholt
Assistant Professor
School of Education
Brooklyn College, City University of New York
2900 Bedford Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11210-2889

Email: bferholt@brooklyn.cuny.edu
Phone: (718) 951-5205