Re: [xmca] Fwd: Private Speech and Self Regulatiion

True about not being able to do it all.  What Luria did do was amazing.

This passage in Luria's The Working Brain seems to be a partial answer to my question about how did he evaluate Vygotsky's suggestion for a sign-mediated neural connection.

"Many years have passed since psychologists regarded mental functions as isolated *faculties*, each of which could be localized in a certain part of the brain. However, the time has also passed when it was thought that mental processes could be represented by models of a *reflex arc*, the first part of which was purely afferent in character and performed the function of sensation and perception, while the second, effector part, was entirely concerned with movement and action."

That helps a lot. That clearly explains why Vgotsky's S-R framework is out of use. I think I've run into that explanation before, but this time it is sinking in. At the same time, the question of how do objects and signs get processed at the neuropsychological level still seems to be a good one. Perhaps Luria addressed that concept from a different angle? And perhaps it was not within the grasp of the technology of his time to get very far with it. How all those neurons and connections organize themselves is still very dimly understood, but a great deal more is known today than in the mid-20th Century. Perhaps what is missing is a cultural-historical approach. What Luria might have been able to do with an MRI! With so many in modern psychology today looking to brain activity patterns and neurotransmitters as direct explanations for behavior, Vygotsky's idea that neuronal versions of objects and signs are always found together in the operations of the higher functions seems especially refreshing and potentially fruitful.

- Steve