From: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu] On
Behalf Of mike cole
Sent: Tuesday, June 22, 2010 1:33 PM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: Re: [xmca] further thoughts on layers and stages within
socioculturally situated practice

I need time to absorb all that Larry and I may not be alone. Meantime, here
is a paper by Eugene Subbotsky that he said I could pass along and that he
believes relevant to the issue of layers and stages. His work is always
interesting!
mike

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 6:13 AM, Larry Purss <lpscholar2@gmail.com> wrote:

> Mike and others reflecting on layers/stages I wasn't sure if I should
> add to your post on definitions and the role of superordinate
> categories as imlpicated  the increasing decontextualization of formal
> definitions. I decided I should  start a new thread.
> As the article states, the cognitive ability to generate
> decontextualized abstract FORMAL definitions is considered a cental
> ability for catergorizing persons into IQ subgroups. Acquiring this
> ability is often viewed as a hallmark of individual diplays of
> intelligence and an excellent tool for creating "ability groupings"
> and people who "lack this innate ability" are viewed as "lacking"
> intelligence.
>  Therefore, if it can be shown that this "ability" is not an
> individual attribute but rather a culturally valued bias implicit in
> the sociocultural traditions of formal schooling, it raises
> fundamental questions about our notions of IQ and what is measured.
> Every school psychologist as part of there professional education
> should be required to read AND grasp the ideas in this article. Thank
> goodness the sociocultural turn in psychology is challenging the basic
assumptions in this cognitive model.

> "Developing" decontextualized definitions and abstract ways of
> thinking from a sociocultural perspective is a matter of practicing
> generating "formal definitions" in institutional structures which
> value this particular genre as a  performance.
>
> This article's focus on the centrality of practice can also be seen as
> another example  that can be used to capture the tension in the
> various accounts of the layering/stages antinomy.  If  the culture
> values decontextualized ways of thinking then this "ability" will be
> privileged over more concrete ways of thinking and  be labeled as
> "higher".  However, as the article points out previous ways of
> constructing are not transcended or sublated. Our horizon of
> understanding expands to include our emerging capacity to use formal
> definitions as an often more efficient practice especially in the
> "assembly-line" institutional structures of FORMAL school settings.
> However, as B. Rogoff reminds us, assembly line practices are not ALL
> pervasive, even in formal school settings. Other models of learning
> co-exist with the assembly line practices. However, the dominant
> structure is formal and the formal tests of vocabulary development capture
who are efficient in these particular situated genres.

> In the spirit of considering the layering/stages antinomy I want to
> discuss another "skill" that is often judged to be  foundational for
> categorizing persons into ability groups and is often theorized as "innate
ability".
> This "skill" is verbal expression which is of central importance in
> American  culture.  I want to suggest this is another example of
> American cultural values [biases], which are historically situated,
> but are often theorized as a universal developmental dynamic.  I will
> be summarizing Suzanne Kirschner's account of "verbal expression" as
> articulated in her article
>
> "The Assenting Echo: Anglo-American Values in Contemporary
> Psychoanalytic Developmental Psychology" (1990) in the journal SOCIAL
> RESEARCH, vol. 57, No.4.
>
> Suzanne's article highlights how Freudian ideas [and ideals] when
> transported to North America, are culturally transformed when
> translated into a new cultural tradition. The hermeneutical process
> she articulates when giving an historical account of psychodynamic
> developmental theory in America is another example of the
> sociocultural embeddedness of all our theories [including
> developmental theories]. If one rejects the basic premises and
> assumptions of psychoanalytic accounts, then reading an historical
> account of how these "invalid" notions could so profoundly influence
> cultural notions of development becomes a hermeneutical narrative that
highlights how historically situated sociocultural processes develop.