Re: [xmca] (ism) v (ist)

I see more posts below, Larry, but will respond in sequence.

I did not spend 30 years creating and struggling to grow a Dept of
Communication by accident, it was for a lot of the reasons that you argue
for in your note, so you get plenty of sympathy from mere there. I simply
get confused a good deal of the time and spend time trying to clarify, which
can be a bore. And always trying to do too much. Apparently a personality
defect i will not shed in this lifetime. Apologies for those
occasions when it gums up the work.

Re symmetry/assymetry. I have been hoping Michael would provide us with a
couple of clear examples of what he is arguing against, but he too is
awfully busy and that may not come. I feel some trepidation continuing
the discussion of the editorial piece as a result.

Here is an example issue that i hope to understand better. Where is the
symmetry and where is the assymetry when Mrs. Turner and the college
professor set up the task with the kids "having stated previously their
intent to allow the children.......  and then Mrs. Turner "interacts with
the each child so that at the end of the turn, the object has found its
place according to what we recognize in the practice of Euclidian
Tridimensional Geometry....."  Seems like there might be just a tad bit of
assymetry at work in these interactions. What is the reality of the words in
the conversation "only when the word is a reality for two"? Which two? Mrs
Turner and the Professor? Mrs Turner and the kid?

Much more of course, of great interest, follows. But I remain somewhat
confused as I stumble along.

Off to pay do the work i should have been doing all morning. !