Re: [xmca] Obama's Learn Act

Mike, I was trying to say that Bernfeld (like Suppes) does indeed trace the contradictions in schooling to factors in the family, deep psychological factors, though presumably culturally conditioned (I imagine, for example, he would see the bourgeois family as the root of particular factors). I didn't quite get around to making that point in my last post, but that's not to say that I don't think these factors are important. For example, it seems to me undeniable that when parents send their kids to schools it's not just to learn knowledge and skills, not to gain qualifications, but in the hope that they become (or remain) certain kinds of person. Teachers too, when you talk with them, are concerned not only with grades or curriculum but with the character of the kids in their class, and their virtues. The kids themselves are aspiring to be certains kind of adult, in their own way. All this starts in the family and continues in school. Yet we hear that schools are "broken" if they don't feed the workforce and operate efficiently.

Martin