From: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu on behalf of David Preiss
Sent: Mon 12/14/2009 1:20 PM
To: lchcmike@gmail.com; eXtended Mind, Culture,Activity
Subject: Re: [xmca] Obama's Learn Act

Hi all,
For those of us who are not American, could somebody explain what is
the main issue that is at stake concerning reading instruction? I need
more information to understand the debate, and I am particularly
interested in learning more about pros and cons of early reading
instruction. Is there anything new in that debate? The concerns about
measurement are clear to me, but those related to instruction are less
clear.
Information will be appreciated.
David Preiss

On Dec 14, 2009, at 2:07 PM, mike cole wrote:

> Gordon--
>
> What does your current understanding of that work lead you to
> conclude vis a
> vis the push to start reading instruction so early that appears part
> of the
> package of propositions being criticized?
> mike
>
> On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 9:03 AM, Gordon Wells <gwells@ucsc.edu> wrote:
>
>> I am somewhat afraid that this post may be seen as "purveying
>> academic drivel for self advancement", as Mike puts it." But here
>> goes.
>>
>> The second edition of *The Meaning Makers - t*he study of children
>> learning to talk and talking to learn at home and school, based on
>> the
>> Bristol Study that I carried out a quarter of a century ago, has
>> recently
>> been published. As well as the original text, updated where
>> appropriate, it
>> contains three additional chapters that survey and comment on what
>> has
>> happened since the original publication. I do believe the evidence
>> of that
>> study is relevant to the ongoing discussion of the Learn Act.
>>
>> For those who are interested, here are the publication details:
>>   [image: Jacket Image For]  *The Meaning Makers*<http://www.multilingual-matters.com/display.asp?K=9781847691989&search_text_01=Gordon+Wells&search_field_01=author&search_field_02=editor&search_field_03=ctitle&search_field_04=identifier&search_field_06=keyword&sort=sort_title&m=1&dc=2
>> >
>> * Series:*  New Perspectives on Language and Education
>> *Author: * Gordon Wells<http://www.multilingual-matters.com/results.asp?aub=Gordon+Wells&TAG=&CID=
>> >
>> *Binding: *Paperback
>> *ISBN: * 1847691986
>> *ISBN-13: * 9781847691989
>> *Pub Date: *01 Aug 2009
>> *List price: *£19.95  *Discount:* 20%  *Our Price:* £15.96
>> *US List price: *$29.95  *Discount:* 20%  *US Price:* $23.96

>> Gordon Wells <gwells@ucsc.edu> http://people.ucsc.edu/~gwells/<http://people.ucsc.edu/%7Egwells/
>> >
>> Department of Education
>> University of California, Santa Cruz.

David Preiss