[xmca] Emotions and Culture

*Vygotsky on the Teaching About Emotions*

After all these years I at last got around to reading Vygotsky's 'Teaching about Emotions'. So far as I know, this and the lecture on the development of emotions in Volume 1, are all that is available in English of Vygotsky on the emotions.

It is an amazing article. For 170 pages, Vygotsky is like a tiger circling the hunter, preparing to attack, circling and circling: ranging from Descartes to James and contemporary writers and back again, he brings out the contradiction and dualism of descriptive psychology and explanatory psychology, centrifugal or centripetal sources of emotion, higher and lower emotions, causal or intentional explanations, physiological or intentional descriptions, natural scientific or theological approaches, etc., etc. It is a protracted immanent critique of the teaching about emotions from Descartes to his own time, allowing each voice to speak against the others, or itself. Occasionally, Vygotsky notes something with approval or makes the occasional characterisation of his own, but generally every system is eventually drawn into contradiction with itself. We are left with only the barest hints of a way out. This is the only case I know of an immanent critique which does not conclude or follow up with a transcending proposal. Dated 1933, I can only conclude that Vygotsky died before he could complete the exercise. It does read like someone trying to solve a puzzle. It is not polemical; it's like thinking aloud.

So, people like Achilles and Mabel who are working on emotions along Vygotsky's lines have a marvellous and challenging task before them! Not just completing Schubert's unfinished symphony, more like writing Shakespeare's 'Elizabeth I'.

One of the surprising things, to me, was that Vygotsky says, in effect, that the entire history of the teaching about emotions is contained in Descartes. Those who came after picked up one side or other of Descartes’ dualism, but soon or later found them forced back to some kind of dualism. Spinoza gets a mention, and is credited with some correct criticisms of Descartes, but given how much others make of Spinoza on emotions, and how much we know Vygotsky admired Spinoza, he has surprisingly little to say about Spinoza. Also, in the entire article there is only one mention of words, so anyone who thinks that Vygotsky reduced consciousness to word meaning must be mistaken. Because what Vygotsky is discussing is not just emotion, but really the whole history of psychology.

As I say, I don't think Vygotsky actually comes to a conclusion, but a few points can be made I think. 1. A science of the emotions worthy of the name must be able to deal fully with the 'higher' or 'finer' emotions - like the satisfaction a mathematician feels on completing a theorem or the pain of a composer whose arpeggio is not quite right - and yet must be explanatory; if limited to descriptive psychology (like a phenomenology of the emotions) it cannot claim to be science.

2. The physiological substrate of emotions (adrenalin, blood pressure, tightening of muscles, etc), including body chemistry and motor functions, and the associated sensations, are _diffuse_ in nature, and can only give a limited range of qualities to emotional experience, compared with the infinite range of emotions known to literature. Both great joy and great sadness can be associated with tears and shaking; both anger and fear include heightened heart rate.

3. The perception of these 'peripheral' changes are merely supplementary to the experience of emotion, not essential and certainly not the _substance_ of emotions as claimed by James. Vygotsky seems satisfied that an emotion can be experienced with no measureable changes in the relevant peripheral functions. (I don’t know if the idea of 'brain maps' of the body has any impact on this.)

4. Emotions are intentional, in the philosophical sense, i.e., directed at something in the objective world. (Thomas Scheff includes what an emotion is directed to as part of his categorization of emotions too, e.g., other-directed or self-directed or object-directed.) And words like teleological and will come into Vygotsky’s text, but he does not explicitly introduce striving as part of the essence of emotion. But it seems to me, it is hard to see how affect can be independent of meaning in relation to a person’s striving or desire. And that is outside the person.

5. It seems that Vygotsky wants to include _meaning_ as an irreducible part of emotion. If the silhouette of a woman engenders an emotion, then that image and all its associations are part of the emotion, not just an external stimulus for a feeling; the grief of a woman over the death of her son cannot be separated from her whole consciousness of her son and his death, memories, etc., all of which impart qualities to the emotion This means that an exclusively physiological explanation of emotion is absolutely ruled out. Jay's point about emotions being to some extent shared is supported here by Vygotsky, I think.

I suspect that because of the various kinds of visceral phenomena associated with strong emotions and shared with the animals, there has historically been a tendency for thinkers to abstract emotion from other, 'cold' or 'higher' modes of consciousness. The more so I suspect that all such speculations are the work of a class of people for whom calculation not passion is the norm. The whole ethos of intellect versus animal passions, etc.

Vygotsky wants I think to put these pieces back together, to accept that certain extreme perceptions engender modes of response in the body appropriate to the perception, and these produce affects which _accompany_ a perception and add further quality to the affect. It is as if the categorizing impulse that drives positivist (abstract empirical) science, in its effort to tear the subject apart, tears affect away from apprehension, and then goes about categorizing affects, and seems to believe that because of this act of cognition, there must be, in the subject itself, an abstraction of causes. But all perception is also affect, isn’t it. There is no such thing as purely intellectual perception or intention. To understand grief, one does need that perception of powerlessness and depression, but also the disorganization of consciousness which loss of a person close to you brings. Vygotsky mentions the difference between fear of a ghost and fear of an approaching bear. There is a difference. And the difference lies in the object of fear, and cannot be separated from consciousness as a whole and it structure.

For those who have high speed internet, Achilles has created a PDF of images of the text which is at http://www.marxists.org/archive/vygotsky/works/1933/emotions/emotions.pdf (65Mb) but Achilles has also OCR-ed the text and is currently correcting it and it should be available at the same location in a few days.

-----------------

Achilles Delari Junior wrote:
Hi, excuse-me,

It's only to share a little  information. Some time
ago, Anton provide us a copy from the text from
Vygotsky, Samukhin an Birembaum about Pick's Disease - and it had important influences from
Lewin and others. That two Vygotsky's collaborators
studied in Germany, I guess, as did Zeiganik. There
are something about the problem of that they
call the "affective systems" of two patients...
It is from 1934, and was not translated yet.

Thank you, nothing to detour the discussion, only
an information about Vygotsky and Gestalt in
clinical settings...

Best.
Achilles.