Re: [xmca] Intensions in context and speech complexity ; From 2-?

A&D.

First, I had not thought of the Luria experiments with respect to the
elicited imitation task. I do not think they are equivalent issues, but
there is overlap, some of which David explores in his message. In both
cases, people are confronted with modes of discourse that are not habitual,
"language games" a la Lois/Wittgenstein, and that fact alone means that
issue so knowledge, motivation, power, etc are
involved in ways that do not line up well for those in the "subject" role.

Second, when my students are confronted with me switching into Russian, they
certainly try to make sense of what I am doing. And there is a "sandwich" in
that scene too. It begins with a discussion of artifacts and the duality of
ideal and material inherent in them and
my posing the question of where in the world the material part of spoken
language is. It ends with me asking if anyone can answer the
question i embed in my Russian talk, and either someone raises there hand
(in which case I can get to the issue of that particular
string of sounds having been a common prior experience of joint mediated
activity) or no one does and i explain the same thing,
perhaps using a simple Spanish example which more or likely to get and
reminding them of the materials processes involved in
oral language production and reception.

People are always TRYING to interpret their experiences so that they can
figure out if they are meaningful and relevant to their
next moments of experience, but arranging for shared meanings in a next
experience is always frought and almost always incomplete.

So it goes.
mike